4.5 17 0.5
Eye Creams,Serums August 25, 2014 725
#ChallengeYourSkin Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

About the Serum - Main Ingredients

Evening Primrose Oil: Evening Primrose Oil is an effective on skin barrier repair and boosting radiance.

Squalane: A signature Kiehl’s ingredient, Squalane is a botanical lipid that is similar in molecular structure to natural skin lipids. It has an exceptional affinity to skin, and because it’s easily absorbed, Squalane helps restore skin’s natural moisture balance to keep it extra soft and supple. And all other ingredients, you can see in on the packaging.

The Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate is a night serum designed to help repair your skin as you sleep and deliver hydration and balance your skin with its key ingredients of squalene and evening primrose oil. Let me tell you though what my favourite part of this serum is – lavender oil.

The Midnight Recovery Concentrate is infused with the wonderfully relaxing scent of lavender. I would give it 5 stars just from its mood altering effects as you inhale it. A definite ‘spa quality' product.

But first the packaging. I love the deep blue glass bottle this elixir comes in. I love the fact that it comes with a dropper although I’m not sure if my bottle is faulty, but I find it hard to depress the squeeze top enough to pick up the serum. I dread to think what will happen once the liquid level drops and I can’t get the serum out – what then?

Fortunately, you only need about 2 drops. But another thing I noticed is that the vacuum isn’t strong enough, so the dropper does not hold the serum properly so it will drip.
Now, are the directions to be believed? Do you really only need 2 drops of this powerful elixir to wake up to glowing skin?

Yes. Do not be like me and be sceptical and try to use more.

The serum has a very liquidy texture so 2 drops is hardly anything. I started out using 3-4 drops but found that it was just too oily on my skin and my pillow was starting to look greasy after just one or 2 nights. So after about 4 days, I cut back down to 2 drops.

Here’s how I continued to use it:

Drop 2 drops of Midnight Recovery Concentrate into your palm, rub hands together. Hold palms in front of nose and take 3 deep breaths of the lavender scent. Apply palms to skin, starting with the cheeks then forehead, nose and chin, pressing slightly on the skin.

You might wonder where the 2 drops of oil have gone on your hands, but it is enough for your skin. Apply over your skin and lightly press your palms against your face. It absorbs and dries quite quickly.

What I noticed almost immediately is how velvety my skin felt. There are no silicones nor parabens in the Midnight Recovery Concentrate so it’s not attributable to silicone. It does not feel nor look oily if used correctly and my skin looks and feels plumped up and glowy.

Initially, I used the elixir with a night cream but found it a little heavy, so I used it on its own. It felt sufficient even in an air-conditioned room. Kiehl’s says your skin looks visibly better in the morning. I tested this theory in the 3 weeks that I used only the Midnight Recovery Concentrate without night cream. Yes it does look good in the morning. It looks rested and better and I feel more rested too! I attribute it to the lavender oil that helps me relax so I sleep better and so with my body relaxed and my skin getting its night time nourishment from the elixir, right there we have a winning formula.

The ingredients (listed on the packaging) are said to be 99.8% natural and its paraben free and mineral oil free. Again definitely a winning formula trait for an anything-natural junkie like me.

Pros: Skin feels velvety smooth and plump. Smells wonderful and relaxing. No breakouts, no irritations. Skin really does look better in the morning.

Cons: Cap thing does not draw up a lot of serum. Serum is liable to drip from dropper. Some people might consider this expensive

A 30ml bottle retails at R695. Its not expensive because 2 drops a day means one bottle will last you close to a year, used nightly only. Its been 2 months and the liquid level has barely dropped. Absolutely worth it!

Do give it a shot, I always advise trying out a sample first so get to your nearest Edgars stores (try the bigger stores) and let me know if you like it as much as I do. :)

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Leave a Reply