Review Detail

4.7 2 0.5
Fragrances July 22, 2013 625
Gloria Vanderbilt EDT 100ml
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

This is my Gran’s absolute favourite! She’s been using this scent for as long as I can remember. She always gets excited when we stock her up come Christmas, her birthday or just cause we love her. (She goes through a 100ml in a month, for an elderly lady who doesn’t even leave her house, lol)

I recently got her a bottle and was very intrigued to try it out on myself. The box is beautiful and feminine with its pink, white and gold colour combination. There’s a dainty white swan on the front which has become synonymous with Gloria Vanderbilt’s perfume. The bottle is a flat circular shape with an etched swan on the front. There is a long gold lid that pulls off. The perfume is a warm golden colour.

The scent is so nostalgic and brings back many memories of childhood, but on me I found it very over-powering and “old”. The smell is strong at first with a slight acetone feel but quickly dries off to an almost powdery finish that is soft, calming and clean. Well, this is how it makes my gran smell. On me, it was throat clenching. I couldn’t stand the scent; it was almost like a sensory over-load. The worst part was that I could smell it the entire day!

The experience taught me many valuable lessons-
1.Don’t try your Grans perfume, it’s a scent that becomes a belonging to that person and so might not necessarily work for you as you associate it with that person.
2.I learnt why my gran loves this scent so much, it is very long-lasting and leaves a memorable impression on all who smell it.
3.It doesn’t irritate skin or stain clothing.
4.A little spritz definitely goes a long way (not for my Gran obviously)

I am in no way dismissing this perfume as not being a great scent, it is, just not one that works well for me. It’s a powerful but gentle aroma that is used by many women. I would associate the scent as being perfect for more mature women. It’s a very very very affordable perfume as it retails at Dischem for R199.90 for the 100ml and on sale between R99.99-R129.99. If you’re looking to try a feminine and affordable classic then I do suggest you give this a try; after you’ve tested it for a day or two first.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Leave a Reply