fbpx

Beauty Bulletin

Review Detail

4.9 3 0.5
Hair Dyes April 01, 2013 3086
Thanks to Beauty Bulletin, I was one of the many ladies chosen to receive the Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color hair dye in 4.15 Iced Coffee shade. I have only ever dyed my hair once two years ago with wash out colour so I was pretty nervous about using this permanent hair dye. What scared me the most was the Ammonia ingredient. Ammonia's are almost always placed in permanent hair dyes to strip your natural colour from your hair shaft and help to bond the new colour to your hair. It's quite a harsh chemical and over time with excessive use it is known to break and damage hair extensively. So you can see I was a bit concerned. I am very fussy when it comes to hair products because I believe in using the best to take care of my long locks. So I set fear aside and decided to dive head first into the challenge. Excuse the pun!

The box is equipped with fairly over sized hand gloves, the two hair dye applicators, conditioner and instructions. It is always best to dye your hair a few days after washing it because the dye won't penetrate well into clean hair and would just slide off your hair thanks to your product build up of shampoo and conditioners. Make sure it is at least three days after you wash your hair to get the most out of your hair colour. Also line your hairline around your head, ears and arms with vaseline to prevent the dye from staining your skin. Wear old clothes and use old towels as well.

The instructions are fairly easy to follow and the dying applicators are easy to use. The dye applies well to the hair. I started in the middle of the scalp and worked it through the lenghts of my hair. The application is mess free and the dye did not run or drip on my clothes which I love. Free and easy application. The actual hair dye once mixed has a very strong smell which burns the nose. After the recommended 25 minutes of setting the dye in once I rinsed my hair I noticed extensive hair loss which did freak me out a little. I think the harshness of the ammonia cause's your hair to break off and fall out. If you don't want a lot of hair loss I suggest that you don't dye your hair with ammonia.

After rinsing I applied the rich conditioner which smells amazing. The conditioner has three oils that nourish and moisturise your hair intensely. It leaves your hair super soft and well treated thanks to its Shea butter, avocado, olive and blackcurrant oils.

My hair is very dark brown almost black.The Iced coffee shade shines a chocolate brown in the sun but if I am in natural light the colour is not very noticeable on my hair. Would I use this Garnier product again or recommend it to any one else? No, I would not use it again or recommend it because of the hair loss that this dye caused and because the colour wasn't rich or intense enough for a dramatic change. It did not leave my hair dry or damaged but I was not very impressed with the results.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Leave a Reply