4.2 20 0.5
Shampoos, Dry Shampoos and Cleansers September 12, 2016 729
Dark and Lovely Au Naturale
(Updated: September 26, 2016)
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

My ‘fro has been fortunate enough to be loved on by these token products for about two weeks. I’m here to share my thoughts, tips and experiences on each product.

1. MOISTURE-REPLENISHING SHAMPOO (R34,95): A burst of mango scent permeates my steamy bathroom as I lather the shampoo all over my textured tressses. An instant foam oozes between my fingers and for a second I forget the tediousness of the task at hand. My hair is quite short, so one wash is usually sufficient without having to section my hair off to make it more manageable. I usually wash my hair once every 7 – 10 days mostly because I read somewhere that one needs to let their hair’s own essential oils come into play before washing it (to whoever wrote that, I believed you). But obviously the frequency of your washes depends on your texture, oiliness, dirt etc. This shampoo is especially great for those with dry hair as it moisturizes the scalp during the cleansing process. So no crispy tresses.

2. KNOT-OUT CONDITIONER (R34,95): My hair usually tangles a lot when I have taken out my protective styling (usually synthetic braids) and this conditioner definitely did it’s job with detangling my locks which made it easier to comb with minimal shedding. I comb from the ends first, removing all knots before combing again from the roots. I always let my hair air dry because towels x heat = breakage.

3. AFRO MOISTURIZING BUTTER (R69,95): A certain baby-like softness comes with applying this butter to my hair. Not only does it feel good on my ‘fro but it feels good on my fingers as well. I love the texture, not too oily, but it gives me that luster finish I desire.

4. PLAITING PUDDING CREAM (69,95): The epitome of maintaining my textured hair is plaiting. I try to wear it in twists every night before bed. Because my hair coils up tightly and shrinks, this helps to maintain its length while I sleep. The plaiting cream assists in making my hair more manageable when styling and it locks in the style almost like a gel. I However, I am not a fan of the flakiness when the product is dry. In the morning, I will shower without letting my twists get wet. The heat from the shower revives my curls before I undo the twists and head out for the day.

Dark and Lovely’s Au Naturale range is free of mineral oils, parabens and petroleum. All of which are unnatural ingredients that can affect your health.

Product Recommendation

Would you recommend this product to someone else?
Yes
Would you repurchase this product?
Yes
E
5 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Leave a Reply