Review Detail

4.5 4 0.5
Primers, Illuminators, Setting Sprays July 30, 2014 305
Great for dry skin!
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

Smashbox Cosmetics were developed for makeup artists on set, so they’re the real deal. Smashbox came up with the idea for primers because makeup artists were constantly having to do touch-ups on models throughout a photo-shoot, so they developed primers to help make makeup last longer and to help create that flawless look we all love! Even better, they recognise that everyone has different skin, so they created a range of products targeting different skin types and skin problems.
I have been testing the Photo Finish Foundation Primer in Hydrating. This product claims: “Give complexion a moisture boost while preparing the perfect canvas for foundation application. Apply over clean, moisturised skin.”

What I loved immediately is that it doesn’t have that thick, silicone-y texture that many other primers have. It’s quite thin and rubs into your skin easily, feeling very comfortable. I’m looking forward to using this lightweight primer when summer rolls around! It provides an added touch of moisture to ensure that foundation doesn’t go cakey or flaky on any dry areas of your face, while its oil-free formula also works well with oilier areas – a great win for those with combination skin. I also found that it did an excellent job of minimising the appearance of the large pores on and around my nose. Overall, it created a smooth, moisturised surface for my makeup to be applied over. I tried wearing this with several BB creams, CC creams and foundations – for all the makeup I applied, the use of this primer extended the wear time. It’s important to note that with primers, a little goes a long way! Applying too much can sometimes actually have the opposite effort and make your foundation slide off easier.
On the con side, it is rather more expensive than I would normally spend on a product like this (because I am on a tight budget), and I found that - while it did extend the wear of my makeup - it didn't make my makeup last as long as when I use a thicker, non-hydrating primer (like the original Smashbox Photo Finish primer).
CC cream still firmly in place after 9 hours at work, skin looking nice and moisturised!
Smashbox Hydrating Primer
Swatch
L
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
July 30, 2014
Dying to try out this primer!!!
C
cpeter01
1 results - showing 1 - 1