Review Detail

4.5 43 0.5
Anti-Ageing Creams July 27, 2016 1564
MY NON-INVASIVE ANTI-AGING STRATEGY
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

What I love most about being a beauty writer and blogger is constantly trying out new and exciting products and then - of course - sharing them with you.
And after trying a budget-friendly range that gives me great results, I get a real thrill, mostly because I know so many women can’t afford to spend upwards of R500 on an anti-aging product.

For the next four weeks, I’ll be trying the products below from the L’Oreal Revitalift Filler Renew range. They contain the highest concentration of Hyaluronic Acid formulated into a cream by L’Oreal. They’re also enriched with Fibroxyl plant extract, renowned for its firming properties. While this range is great for women’s skins 30 years and up (those concerned with aging and volume loss), it’s women in the 40’s age bracket (like me), as well as 50 and 60-year-old women who’ll see the most benefit. Best news is, all four products in the range, retail for a very price-friendly R284.95 each.

The Inspiration
For the Revitalift Filler Renew product range, L’Oreal took inspiration from Hyaluronic Acid injectables, analysing how this filler works to plump lines and wrinkles in the skin. They then sought to replicate it in the range.

Hyaluronic acid injections work on two levels:
1. They provide instant volume
2. They actually stimulate the natural production of collagen.

‘The swelling of hyaluronic acid results in a mechanical pressure, stimulating fibroblasts which in turn produces more collagen,’ explains dermatologist Dr Emma Wedgeworth.

An easy to understand explanation on the loss of facial volume

Skin cells are embedded within a scaffolding-like structure called the extracellular matrix (ECM). This consists of collagen intertwined with various proteins and other connective tissue molecules. Collagen is often known as the ‘building block’ of the skin.
As skin ages, the ECM becomes more fragmented, losing collagen, which in turn contributes to the loss of volume.

Hyaluronic acid is a naturally found molecule in the ECM, which is responsible for keeping the skin moisturised. It’s a highly hydrophilic molecule, meaning it attracts a significant volume of water and swells to many times its original size. Hyaluronic acid molecules are capable of holding a thousand times their own weight.

This incredible substance is found throughout the body - with 50% in the skin. It gives the smooth and dewy look of youth, but sadly dissipates alongside collagen from about 30 years of age.

The Revitalift Filler Renew range also contains Fibroxyl – an extract rich in sugars, which has been shown to activate fibroblast cells. Fibroxyl mimics the actions of a filler injection in the dermis (the lower layer of the skin), stimulating the fibroblasts to produce collagen, making skin behave as if it were much younger.

The Products
When the products arrived, I was instantly struck by how cool the packaging is. The serum’s packaging in particular is my favourite. It resembles a giant syringe and is designed to protect the formula from air and light. Clever huh?

I also like that fact that the eye cream has an applicator that’s curved on the one side. It also has a flat metal end that you use to gently massage the cream in.

Both the day and night creams are packaged in glass jars, giving them quite a luxe feel. I like the silky texture of the day cream, and noticed it absorbed super quick, without leaving my skin looking shiny. While the day cream doesn’t have an SPF, I noticed in the ingredient list that it does contain Titanium Dioxide. However, I would recommend applying a separate sunscreen, or using a foundation with a built-in SPF for extra protection. The night cream has a very luxurious texture and is super hydrating.

Good To Know
Back in 2003, while working for True Love magazine, I was fortunate enough to visit the L’Oreal Head office in Clichy just outside Paris. I was given a tour of the research lab, and it was there that I got to see just how cutting edge their scientific research really is. At the time L’Oreal had just pioneered growing actual human skin to test their products on. It was mind-blowing to see skin cells growing in petri dishes, and the whole experience gave me a new perspective on the brand. The thing with mass brands like L’Oreal is, because they’re so big, they can afford to spend millions on research and development, and that ensures their products are effective and safe.
Too many women think expensive equals better.
But, this is NOT the case.

I’m super excited to report back in a month on how I – and my skin - experienced this range.

Product Recommendation

Would you recommend this product to someone else?
Yes
Would you repurchase this product?
Yes
C
4 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Leave a Reply