Review Detail

4.3 3 0.5
Kiehl's Actively Correcting & Beautifying BB Cream
(Updated: September 10, 2015)
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

Full disclosure: I'm an absolute Kiehl's addict. I was so thrilled when I heard that they were branching out into cosmetics, as most of my skincare regimen consists of Kiehl's products.

Some background on the BB cream: BB creams were invented by Korea, the nation of skincare gurus. The idea trickled down to Western brands, both high-end and drugstore. However, so many brands who launched their own BB creams didn't understand the concept and merely jumped on the beauty bandwagon.

'Real deal' BB creams are more than just tinted moisturisers. They combine makeup and skincare, including hardcore SPF and treatment aspects like antioxidants or anti-ageing ingredients. Kiehl's BB cream takes the product back to its roots, providing far more than light coverage.

Here's what I loved:
1. It contains SPF50+ for the ultimate sun protection and Vitamin C to treat pigmentation, making it the perfect product for sunny South Africa.
2. The 'Light' shade which I used is refreshingly neutral-toned. I find most BB creams for fair skin in South Africa are either too pink or too orange.
3. The coverage is long-lasting and the formula covers minor imperfections brilliantly.
4. The formula (despite being silicone-free) makes my face look super-smooth, which is always a perk.

Now for the downsides...
1. It smells...bad. Like a mixture of wet paint and freshly ground pepper. And the smell lingers. Not a deal-breaker for me, but it may be for some.
2. When you apply powder over it, like a blush or highlighter, the formula pills. It's best to use cream products if you're going to layer your makeup.
3. The price. I gladly drop dollar on skincare, but R525 for a BB cream is steep. I wouldn't pay more than R450 for a foundation, if I could help it.

If you're serious about skincare and you have the budget, I could not recommend this product more. I will be monitoring my complexion while I use this product for changes in brightness from the Vitamin C and this will be the deciding factor on whether I repurchase this product or not.

Expect another review later down the line.

(The image below is of me wearing the BB cream on its own with a primer. No concealer, no powder, no blush, no highlighter. This is the type of finish it creates...)

Product Recommendation

Would you recommend this product to someone else?
Yes
Would you repurchase this product?
No
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
September 17, 2015
Looks amazing in your photo! I would love to try this IF only I had the budget to!! Great review thanks! X
G
GenH
September 18, 2015
Thank you! I love it, but I'm not sure that I'm reaping the skincare benefits because I'm not using it every day. I can't commit to a single foundation/coverage product. Life is too short. ;)
S
Shannon_H
2 results - showing 1 - 2

Leave a Reply