Lipgloss. Balms, Lip Plumpers April 14, 2014 1660
Luscious Lip Love - My affair with Avon's Lovely Lippies
(Updated: July 03, 2015)
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

Ultra Glazewear Absolute Lip Gloss:

"Avon's products are great, but it's such a schlep trying to find a representative." If I had a lip gloss for every time I've heard someone say this, or for every time I've read it on a forum... It's true, though. Although the products are high quality, and real value for money, they're a pain to get hold of. I am lucky enough to have a representative living on my doorstep, but even so, it is still incredibly frustrating to have to wait two weeks for my order to arrive. I remember anxiously ticking off the days when I made my first purchase of Avon's Glow Bronzing Pearls. Isn't it far more convenient to be able to walk into a store and buy your goodies immediately? Well, now you can! Maybe some of you already know this, but it came as a shock to me: There are three Avon Beauty Centers, situated in Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria, where you can test all the products and make instant purchases! No more excuses, ladies! Now that this bit of exciting information has been shared, let's get to the good stuff.

I received two products from the ladies at Beauty Bulletin. So firstly, a big thank you to everyone involved in the selection process. I am thrilled to have been a part of this trial team. I was sent a lipstick and a gloss from Avon. Both products were sealed in a black Avon wrapping, which made me really happy. I'd never purchased a lip product from Avon before, so I was very impressed with the packaging. It was assuring to know my lips would be the first to try out these gorgeous products.

I tested Avon's Ultra Glazewear Absolute lip gloss in 'Nourishing Nude'. This was the first product I ripped open because I'd been dying to try out a nude lip gloss. The 6ml of precious liquid is housed in a classic lip gloss container with a wand for precise application and minimal wastage. Before applying the gloss, I made sure I had a smooth and flawless canvas by first applying some lip scrub in a gentle circular motion. Once my lips were prepped, I slicked some of the caramel-scented gloss onto them. The application is smooth and velvety. I only needed to dip my wand once to coat my lips, but it was impossible to resist applying more because the stuff smells like freshly-baked cookies! Throughout the day I found myself making weird faces, and trying to sniff my lips.

The gloss is light, gives a beautiful shine without looking greasy, and only has to be reapplied if you're eating or drinking a lot. 'Nourishing Nude' is an extremely wearable shade, perfect for everyday. It can also be worn over lipstick to add some shine and scent (because who doesn't love kissing someone who smells like cookies?). The gloss left my lips hydrated and soft, and I did not feel the need to apply a balm after I removed it in the evenings.

I feel that Avon's really made good on their promise of the Ultra Glazewear Absolute's ability to provide both colour and care for your lips. I did not need to apply anything else while wearing or even after I'd removed it. For at least two hours after wiping the gloss off, my lips remained soft, scented and 100% kissable. If you love the natural look, you can't go wrong with 'Nourishing Nude'. It provides a subtle colour, lovely fragrance, and SPF 15. Available in ten versatile shades, and currently going for R54.95 (regular price R109.95), there is absolutely no excuse for not trying the Ultra Glazewear Absolute. 'Nourishing Nude' is a little bakery in a bottle, and has fast become one of my favourites.

Ultra Colour Absolute Lipstick:

I tested Avon's Ultra Colour Absolute Lipstick in 'Lovely Fuchsia'. Being a fan of the nude look, I was quite taken aback by this bright lippy. As much as I love pink, it's not a colour I would easily wear on my lips. I wasn't sure if I could pull off such a striking colour, being the plain Jane that I am. But make-up is, after all, about self-exploration and adventure... so, I decided to give it a try.

One of the aspects I loved most about this product, was its presentation. Avon's Ultra Colour Absolute is a chunky lipstick that feels like a quality product. It glides out smoothly to reveal a good length of solid colour, branded with the Avon logo, which I thought was a nice touch, a feature common amongst high-end lipstick brands. Whether it would behave like a high-end brand, however, remained to be seen.

Like every other woman on this planet, I love sniffing my make-up. When I opened my Ultra Colour Absolute, I immediately braced myself for that 'oily' scent characteristic of most lipsticks I've used in the past. I was pleasantly surprised when I found Avon's lipstick had no trace of this smell, in fact, it has a very subtle fruity scent. The formula itself is unbelievably creamy and glides on like a dream. The Ultra Colour Absolute, while being a highly-pigmented lipstick, is not heavy on the lips - often I forgot that I was wearing any lipstick at all! It feels like a smooth lip balm, and it truly cares for your skin. Chock full of moisturizing ingredients, collagen, and vitamins C and E, this lippy is quite the nourishing treat!

If you're going to be wearing the lipstick for an hour or two in the evening, applying it straight onto clean lips is the way to go. It's got a beautiful satin finish and will keep your lips moisturized and soft. However, if you need real staying power from this gorgeous colour, I would suggest a different route.

There are many factors that can affect the way your lipstick behaves, like fluctuations in temperature, and eating/drinking/talking a lot. To ensure your gorgeous colour stays in place, you're going to need a bit more than just a clean canvas.

After scrubbing your lips (a very important, and non-negotiable step when applying lipstick, especially a bright colour like 'Lovely Fuchsia'), apply a drop of your regular foundation to your lips. I know, it sounds strange, and believe me, it looks even stranger, but doing this creates the perfect surface for the lipstick to "adhere" to. You know how you apply foundation to your eyelids so that your eyeshadow stays put? We're using pretty much the same principle in this case. Let the foundation set for a few minutes (pull a few funny faces in the mirror, if you like! Make-up is fun!), and then proceed with a sharpened lip liner that matches your lipstick. Start by lining the center of your Cupid's Bow, and then open your mouth and line the inner corners of your lips. Lastly, line the lowest part of your lower lip. The foundation actually makes the lip liner stand out more, and it will make the lip colour more prominent too.

After lining your lips, dab on the lip colour (dabbing will make your lipstick go further, and also ensure a more precise application if you don't have a lip brush). Now take your finger and gently blend the colour into your lips, touching up any mistakes as you go along. Gently blot with a tissue to remove the excess, and repeat the application and blotting for a more intense finish. Once you are satisfied with the colour, pick up your lip liner again and go over the edges of your lips with a cross hatching motion. Simply outlining your lips creates a hard, unnatural line. Blend the lip liner in with your Ultra Colour Absolute lipstick to avoid this look. (N.B. Lip liners are used when you need to create a long-lasting look; its waxy texture will prevent the lipstick from bleeding into the fine lines around your mouth.) To avoid lipstick stains on your teeth, simply bite down on your finger with your lips to remove any lipstick from the inner lip. Applying my 'Lovely Fuchsia' in this manner, my lip colour lasted for more nearly 8 hours, without any touch ups.

To remove the lip colour, simply blot and then slick on some Vaseline. Rub it into your lips for a few seconds, and then gently remove the rest of the lipstick with a tissue. Alternatively, you can blot until you're left with a subtle lip stain, and then apply some lip gloss or Vaseline to create a more subtle look, perfect for everyday wear.

As someone who does not usually wear striking lip colours, testing Avon's highly-pigmented Ultra Colour Absolute in 'Lovely Fuchsia' started off as quite a scary experience. The colour shows up really well on my caramel complexion, and I imagine it would be even more flattering on a porcelain skin tone. Ultra Colour Absolute is an excellent choice for flash photography as well (see my vampy picture!). Avon's new lipsticks are available in ten gorgeous shades. From everyday nudes like 'Coffee Creme', to racy colours like 'Red Velvet', there's a lippy for every skin tone, mood and occasion. There's even a hot purple, if you're keen to try the Lorde look. Enriched with collagen, vitamin E and C, as well as SPF 15, your lips will not only look stunning, they will also be pampered and protected. How much for a lipstick that promises AND delivers colour and care? Currently only R69.95 from Avon (regular price R139.95). At such great a price, you can't afford not to own one of these lush lippies. But, why not pair it up with its glossy twin? For only R89.90, you can own both the Ultra Glazewear Absolute gloss AND the Ultra Colour Absolute lipstick. Visit the Avon website to view the complete range, or pop in at a Beauty Center for the full experience. At only 90 bucks, feel free to fall in love with them all!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Leave a Reply