Review Detail

4.1 143 0.5
Mascaras, Eyebrow Pencils October 28, 2013 1956
Avon MegaEffects Mascara in Blackest Black
Overall rating

Price

Quality

Effectiveness

I was just about to order the new sensationally REVOLUTIONARY Mascara from my Avon Brochure when my mum handed over a familiar white envelope to me. I was super excited as I didn’t receive any messages from BB indicating that id been chosen to review a new product, I later learnt that with BB’s make-over my messages are no longer received through my email. So I no longer had to purchase the mascara but I did have to get reviewing, the mascara is on special at the moment for R99.99.

I tore open the envelope to find the black Avon box with its signature white text. How very “keeping up with the Joan’s” (Kardashians are more what I keep up with though) of Avon to incorporate the covetable monochrome look into their packaging. The emphasis on “MEGA” is dually noted and I knew I was in for a mind-blowing treat! I was stoked to see I’d received the mascara in blackest black as I’m not the biggest fan of brown mascara.

The mascara itself is very new in terms of size, shape, brush, formula and design. It’s the first revolution made to mascara in ages and has definitely caused a frenzy amongst the cosmetic conscience.

The mascara is packaged in a black and red squishy almost tippex looking contraption that’s easy on the eye and very different compared to conventional mascaras. The black base is made of a softer plastic and can be squeezed whilst the red lid is hard and keeps the stalk of the applicator safe and protected. Between the base and lid is a shiny black plastic band that has AVON written in white. The red lid has MEGA effects done in black which is very striking. As this is the biggest stir to mascaras and it creates big results I love how AVON has played this up with the emphasis on the word MEGA. The red lid fits on snuggly with a click and does need some persistence to pull open; I suggest pulling to the side rather than up to de-clip.

Once open, the mascara gets even weirder looking and a bendable handle is staring at me. I’m a bit perplexed and so decide to read through the handy instruction leaflet that came with the product within the box.
So, you need to rock the brush from side-to-side and then pull out. This was easier to read than accomplish and I learnt the valuable need of Avon’s to include those little raised dots over half the handle and the base of the bristles. These little dots help your finger grip onto the handle to pull it out the base. Once this was established and achieved I was now staring at a very peculiar “brush”. This is more a bunch of bristles strategically placed to achieve a result more than the conventional mascara wand and brush. I love the fact that the “brush” is made of rubber as that’s my favourite type of bristles. They hold the most formula without wastage and can slide easily through every single eye lash.

The bristles are of different shapes and the length of the brush is much longer than normal mascaras. I appreciate the design of incorporating smaller bristles along the edges as they catch the edge eye lashes perfectly without getting them stuck together. The handle of the mascara can be bent to suit your preferred angle which makes the application strange on the first time. I’ve used this mascara about 5 times now and am still struggling with the handling of the brush. The brush is ergonomically designed for both comfort and control. Even though I struggle with the brush, I still find getting my lashes coated from root to tip very successful. Due to the unique design, mascara can now be applied in 12 different angles, SERIOUSLY!
The formula is as black as I’ve ever seen! This is very very very striking both on the bristles and on your lashes. You might think you normal mascara is very black but puh-lease darlings, that would look brown when compared to the MEGA effects hue! It’s a clump-free, seat proof, non-flaking, non-smudging and ophthalmology tested formula that delivers the finest quality. The mascara is available in two shades at R189.95 each; Blackest Black and Brown Black. The formula is weaker in consistency than the average mascara and so can smudge onto fingers and eye-lids much easier. On my first application I had panda eyes with smudges everywhere, but the formula comes off easily with some make-up remover. I suggest a lot of practise or doing your mascara before the rest of your make-up if you haven’t mastered this brush yet.

My eyelashes looked coated in shiny black tar and they stayed that way throughout the day. I do love the consistency in this product and the brilliant true black of its colour. Due to its weaker/thinner formula, eyelashes look slick and coated with lustre. The formula is not harsh and goes on smoothly from root to tip without any clumping or blocking.

I’m normally a person who likes coating my mascara brush in a second round of mascara to achieve the most maximum results but this was difficult to do with this product as it is a hassle to put the wand back into the base and then wiggling it around and squeezing the base then pulling back out to apply; so needless to say I only used the one coat. Even with only one coat, my lashes were instantly longer and refined. I did feel that they gave me a very noticeable false lash look as it sort of gathers the strands of lashes into sections. This I found not to be appealing as I tend to gravitate to a full, wide, separated and natural fan look when using mascara. This mascara gives an iconic “Twiggy” look and I’m more of a Khloe Kardashian kinda girl.

This is a fantastic addition to the evolution of mascara and the many different looks one can achieve. It wouldn’t be my first choice for a day look but I will pull this out when the night calls and I need to paint the town red! It’s also a great go-to when you need a false-lash effect and want to stand out from the crowd with lashes that take-off! I am impressed with AVON’s trueness in them saying it’s a MEGA effects mascara as it definitely gives users a MEGA look and appeal; it merely needs to be used for the right occasion; although some women can rock this look at any time, any day!

Product Recommendation

Would you recommend this product to someone else?
Yes
Would you repurchase this product?
Yes
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Leave a Reply