Beauty Exchange

Hi ladies!

So I love doing a cateye look almost everyday, but I seem to have the same problem each time: the eyeliner transfer to the upper lid creating a smudge. It's really annoying and requires touching up constantly.

Here's what you need to know first:
-Yes, I do prime my eyes with a Smashbox primer each time
-I usually apply an eyeshadow that is a similar colour to my eyelid skin (also smashbox product)
-my skin is always clean when my makeup is applied
-I set the liquid eyeliner with a black eyeshadow too
-the liquid eyeliner I'm using is a pretty good make: Maybelline which was quite pricey.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything else I can do?
Attachments:

Accepted Answer

Vianca
Vianca
Offline
Monday, August 31 2015, 09:53 PM - #Permalink
I used to have the same problem and I always do cat eyes, so here are my tips...

Switch to gel liner, it is seriously the best thing ever! Application time after the first try or two is less than half of what I used to spend on liquid liner especially since theres no more cleaning up, and you don't need to set the liner with eyeshadow at all, it doesn't smudge or transfer. I use Maybelline's gel liner which goes for about the same as the liquid liner but it lasts much longer.

If you are going to stick with liquid liner then the best advice I can give is to apply a pencil liner underneath and use the liquid liner over that. :)
The reply is currently minimized Show
Responses (9)
  • Accepted Answer

Shradha
    Shradha
    Offline
    Sunday, August 16 2015, 12:08 AM - #Permalink
    Instead of the smashbox primer try using a light layer of concealer on your eyelids or purchase Mac paint pot. After using either of these products dust a light layer of a neutral, skin toned eye shadow. Then apply your wing. Hopefully this will help you ☺
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, August 20 2015, 01:07 PM - #Permalink
    Thank you so much, I will try this out and see how well it works for me!
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Friday, September 04 2015, 01:58 PM - #Permalink
    Hi Vianca!

Will try this method out and see how it works! I bought Maybelline gel liner which comes in a little pot, so I'll see if this works out better than the others.

Thank you so much for your tips!
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Jaylene
    Jaylene
    Offline
    Tuesday, September 08 2015, 10:01 AM - #Permalink
    I have had the same issues...will definitely try these suggestions.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Sarahtorr
    Sarahtorr
    Offline
    Monday, September 14 2015, 12:00 PM - #Permalink
    I am sitting with the same problem and it is SO ANNOYING, i heard that you can apply your powder onto your lid before you apply the eyeliner because it clings better that way. I have tried almost everything and nothing has helped, if i find something that works i will definitely let you know. I have even thought of using a matifying moisturizer on my eyelids, will let you know if i find something that works:)
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

SEV
    SEV
    Offline
    Thursday, October 15 2015, 07:45 PM - #Permalink
    The liquid liner transfers because it is wet and you moved your eye. The issue seems hard because you have already primed that area. A simple trick is to do the liner in sections. Do one section and let it dry. move onto the opposite eye and then back to the first one. That way the liner sets and once dried won't transfer. Another really neat trick is simply to use foundation and a small flat brush to wipe the transfer. Just as you would if you have gone over your lip line with a dark lipstick. This also works to get a perfect cat eye. Instead of stressing about applying the liner just right you can actually just correct the application by taking a small flat foundation applicator brush and going over the imperfect line. Shape it the way you want and wipe the access liner off the brush before you continue on the other side.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Monday, October 19 2015, 10:12 PM - #Permalink
    SEV wrote:

Perhaps my issue wasn't well worded. The eyeliner transfers throughout the day, and not upon application. Of course I understand wet eyeliner would transfer. My issue is that it transfers throughout the day despite priming, or using concealer, or using powder to set the eyelid. I have an oily eyelid, I can tell. I will have to just find the right product I suppose for my type of skin type, as most methods above have not worked. I am not always at liberty to touch up my makeup with concealer throughout the day. I have friends that can wear the exact eyeliner the entire day without it transferring, which brings me back to the conclusion that I will need to find a product suitable for my skin. Thanks anyway :)
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

SEV
    SEV
    Offline
    Tuesday, October 20 2015, 09:43 AM - #Permalink
    Hi, it is possible that the run of your liner is due to sweating or heat. If your eyelids do regularly sweat without make-up then it may be worthwhile speaking to your doctor and exploring botox to control this. A first step however is to try a liquid liner as Kohl and cream liners contain more moisture and do tend to run more.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Monday, December 03 2018, 03:03 PM - #Permalink
    Use waterproof liquid eyeliner. It’s literally the only thing that has worked for me because i have the same problem. Drives me crazy.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
Your Reply

Specify a password to lock discussions to only users who has the password.

You may add additional URLs that you would like to include in your post.

Add URL